Astronomical Observatory of the Polytechnic School

The Astronomical Observatory of Lisbon's Polytechnic School was founded in 1875 and it's the only remaining 19th-century educational observatory in Portugal.

Although the construction of an astronomical observatory was already planned in the founding decree of the school (1837), the practical classes of astronomy took place at the Royal Navy Observatory until the last quarter of the 19th century. This institution operated, for a period of time, within the buildings of the Polytechnic School.

In 1887 the Astronomical Observatory started to show clear degradation signals when the Rossio's railway tunnel was built. Reconstructed in 1898 according to the plan of Victor Gomes da Encarnação and José Cecília da Costa, the Observatory splits in three main areas: the central building with its three domes, the "meridian room" and the classroom; a three floored building where you could find classrooms, professors offices and the Observatory library; and a third woden building known as the "barraca", mostly used to calibrate instruments.

The Astronomical Observatory kept an autonomous statute, being on the Polytechnic School "establishments" and after that, Faculty of Science's, until the decade of 1930 when it was associated to the Department of Mathematics of the University of Lisbon. Used for education until 2002 (the domes), the Astronomical Observatory is now part of the Museum and awaits a recovery and repair, that will enable the return of visitors.

Historical Note

The building of an observatory aimed at practical Astronomy classes was planned from day one after the creation of the Polytechnic School of Lisbon in 1837. Maps with axact data about the limits of Portuguese national territory and colonies were urgently needed. This was absolutely necessary to organize electoral and tax regions as well as to plan infrastructural development, tracing telegraph and railway lines that were practically nonexistent in Portugal.

The Astronomy was purposely one of the needed tools to achieve that goal. The first step of the mapping process, the establishment of a primary triangulation depended on astronomy. Only using this science could the longitude and latitude of the principal geodesic points be determined, and it was related with the calculus of the azimuths that the triangulation network was oriented. The construction of the Observatory was started In 1875, in the higher zone of the Botanic Garden. The main body of the Observatory was built at the superior embankment of the Garden, right beside the wall. The secondary body of the building, occupied by a set of support rooms was built near the wall. However, the decision of building the Observatory at the end of the Botanic Garden embankment was soon to be unfortunate. Few years after the edification, the Observatory started to show signals of an accelerated degradation due to lack of compact ground where the building was built and mostly because of the opening of the Rossio railway tunnel in 1880. Rebuilt according to the plans of Victor Gomes da Encarnação, the new (main) building of the Observatory was inaugurated in 1898.

The main building was planed with two core rooms, the Meridian Circle Room, at the North wing, and the classroom at the South wing. Around these divisions there were a set of rooms and offices. The first floor of the Observatory was occupied by the main dome followed by the lateral domes. The morphology of the building expressed its purpose: IIt was a building primarily intended to teach Spherical Astronomy.

Relevância Patrimonial

Os Museus Universidade de Lisboa têm sob sua tutela os dois últimos observatórios astronómicos históricos existentes em Portugal: um com tipologia de ensino – o Observatório Astronómico da Escola Politécnica (OAEP) – e outro com tipologia de investigação e dimensão de observatório nacional – o Observatório Astronómico de Lisboa, na Tapada da Ajuda – ambos construídos com poucos anos de diferença.

No contexto europeu, foram inúmeros os observatórios construídos no século XIX propositadamente para apoio ao ensino da Astronomia nas universidades e escolas superiores europeias. No entanto, sobrevivem apenas três com uma morfologia clara de formação e ensino, nomeadamente através da presença de uma sala de aula concebida no desenho original: os Observatórios de Leiden, Estrasburgo e Lisboa. Acresce a esta raridade o facto de o Observatório constituir parte integrante e indissociável do Jardim Botânico, um espaço de reconhecida importância científica e cultural e um dos mais importantes jardins portugueses, classificado recentemente como monumento nacional. Construído em 1878 também para apoio ao ensino da Escola Politécnica, o Jardim constitui um verdadeiro oásis científico e cultural no eixo Rato-Chiado. Todo o complexo museológico da Politécnica, herdeiro de uma linhagem de mais de 400 anos de ensino e estudo das ciências, tem um enorme contributo cultural a dar à cidade de Lisboa. Faz parte das prioridades da Universidade de Lisboa uma dinamização mais regular e continuada deste espaço, consolidando e fidelizando os cerca de 160 mil visitantes por ano e abrindo-o ainda mais à comunidade e à Cidade.

O Projecto de Recuperação

A recuperação do Observatório, para a qual o MUHNAC procura angariar fundos públicos e privados, encontra-se intimamente articulada com o projeto de restauro do Jardim Botânico. Especificamente no que diz respeito ao Observatório, a recuperação será ancorada em três pilares fundamentais: o reposicionamento da forte ligação entre Observatório e Jardim, o respeito pelo espírito original do local e o cruzamento de olhares disciplinares (ciência e arte), geográficos (Norte-Sul, Este-Oeste) e temporais (passado, presente e futuro). O edifício principal do Observatório, mais pequeno, será recuperado à traça e com os materiais originais, albergando a colecção de telescópios e outros instrumentos de astronomia como base para a interpretação daquele espaço e da sua história. A cúpula central dispõe de um telescópio Zeiss que ficará em funcionamento para observações do céu pelo público, que decorrerão regularmente, quer no edifício principal quer na ‘esplanada’ em frente . O edifício das Matemáticas, encostado à muralha, também será restaurado no respeito pela sua arquitectura original e terá uma dupla função: espaço público de complemento à interpretação do Jardim Botânico e do Observatório e instrumento de mobilidade no Jardim, através da transformação de uma das cúpulas em elevador. Terá também as principais infraestruturas de apoio ao público, nomeadamente cafetaria, sanitários e posto de vendas do Museu.